Saturday, October 5, 2013

Wandering around in Apple Orchards.


Spent this cloudy Saturday afternoon with our cousins wandering in random fashion all over an apple orchard with the little ones in tow and we couldn't have been happier!  If you are looking for a great place to go apple picking near Toronto, this is the place!  The entrance is a bit understated (we drove past once) but the service is great, farm food is delicious and they have a tractor that takes you to the right apples.

We were definitely on a mission to load up our bags with the most tart, most crisp Ontario apples two families could find, and my personal favorite--Cortlands.  Not ONLY are they the best for baking, and snacking, they last in the fridge until December!  What?  Ya.  You got it.  Although I doubt they'll make it that long.  Not at the rate we ate them today.


Gabriel and his cousin Elsie, wandered the rows for hours with apples in hand, Gabriel with two and I am sure that between them they must have eaten a good half-dozen.  I should mention here that he just adores his cousin.  I think she gets him--his humour, his need for independence and an older girl to just "chill" with.  They seem to get along really well.


It must have taken us an hour or so just to find the right trees--apparently everyone else has the same love for Cortlands--the rows were nearly picked clean.  I filled my pockets until the boys found us and brought the bags.


And this newborn, Violet.  What a quiet little thing.  I am pretty sure she slept the whole time and I never heard a sound.


We are loving spending time with this beautiful family!!  And looking forward to more family outings in our futures as we explore the city (and environs) with the littles in tow.


Seriously, I can't eat one. more. apple.   Ok, if you insist.


You might also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment