Friday, January 17, 2014

Coming home.


Everyone loves being in their own space, in their own home.  And we are no different.  So the surprisingly delightful thing for me about having a second baby was our first day together in the hospital.  I am not a fan of hospitals, I prefer to be in my own space with my family.  My husband was at home with our son and I missed him, but it also meant that we had a very quiet, long day together just the two of us.  Since everything went well, the nurses, for the most part, let us be and we had almost no visitors for our short stay.  We ate and slept and spent languid hours staring into each others' eyes, or me at her peaceful little face.  And I memorized each of her little fingers and toes and stamped the smell of her skin into my mama memory.  We were all wrapped up in our little cocooned hospital room away from the rest of the world.  There probably won't be many days like that in our future, where it is just the two of us sitting quietly with sunlight shining in the window, so we sort of reveled in it.       

And then it was time to come home and join the rest of the family who soaked up her softness and newborn scent and laughed at her 'old man grimace.'  Gabriel cannot get enough of his baby sister; he wants to hold and kiss her endlessly.  It's like everything stops when she comes in the room and he is caught up in her world.  I think we are all feeling that way, caught up in the beauty and the dearness of this new life.    


I just cannot get over that 'old man grimace' face you make Magdalene, it makes me laugh out loud every time!

You might also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment