Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Cherry Blossoms on Marble and Little Sunny Picnic with friends.


So, I have seen cherry blossoms before.  Vancouver has a festival every year and they are beautiful.  But I, hands down, have to give the prize to Washington, DC.  I have never seen so many blossoms and such full trees all in one place.  It was breath-taking, and as I drove past the Jefferson Memorial today to try to find parking (a half-hour walk away), I could actually physically feel my breath catching in my throat.  It took some self-discipline to keep my eyes focused on the road.  It's simply magical--short and glorious and gone in a week.


The entire Tidal Basin was edged with cherry blossom trees--one after the other, after the other.  The heavily laden softly pink blossomed branches spilled out over the edge of the walking path and dipped into the water below. And the city came alive--employees on their lunch breaks, mamas pushing strollers, families on holiday, seniors on a tour and young love.  All dressed in pinks, whites and soft greens.  All hopeful and light-hearted and camera happy.  And we were one of those.


We met with our friends--Sabrina, Raquel and Sabrina's daughters Francesca and Giada for a picnic on the water's edge, parked in the shade of the soft cherry blossoms.  These days, we are certainly taking advantage of this nice weather to eat and be outside as much as we can.  It was so beautiful and sunny and hot!  We are all sure that Washington has almost skipped spring altogether. 


You might also like:

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun little group! I love looking at all of your photos of G and the neighbors. Missing this beautiful city and fun friends!

    ReplyDelete